Brunel has a small library of books – if you would like to borrow one, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Navigation & Leadership
We run navigation training sessions from time to time. If you would like to go on one, please e-mail us.
- Navigation: Techniques and skills for walkers by Pete Hawkins – Cicerone (the publisher) often has an offer on its website where if you buy this book you can purchase a Silva Expedition 4 compass at half price – this is a very good deal!
- Navigation in the Mountains by Carlo Forte
- Hillwalking by Steve Long – includes navigation and leadership
You can find more navigation resources online. For example, Trail magazine has an excellent ten part series which starts here.
These books have routes that are suitable for 1 or 2 Boot level walks. You could follow the route as presented in the book or modify it – but always pre-walk it in case there have been changes since the book was published (landmarks such as bus stops may have moved).
- Exmoor & The Quantocks by John Earle
- Walks in the Countryside around Bristol
- Walking in Bristol by Helena Eason
- Pathfinder guide 5: Cornwall
- Pathfinder guide 6: Cotswolds
- Pathfinder guide 18: Brecon Beacons and Glamorgan
- Pathfinder guide 21: Somerset, Wiltshire & Mendips
- Pathfinder guide 29: Wye Valley and Forest of Dean
- Pathfinder guide 40: More Cotswold walks
- Pathfinder guide 55: Cardiff, Swansea and Gower
- Beyond Bristol by Robin Tetlow – published April 2017